Return to the StormerClan homepage
Head tr

DayZ

<<

Gunslinger

SC CO-Leader

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:24 pm

DayZ

So a few of us have just started playing DayZ - if you don't know what this is it is basically a mod of Arma 2 that is like the Walking Dead (yes, zombies!!)

If you've got it or thinking of getting it here are some useful links:

How to install (I got Arma 2 Combined Operations from Steam and used the SixUpdater method)

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... stall_DayZ

A useful Wiki:

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

An online map (you won't have a clue where you are otherwise!)

http://dayzdb.com/map

The official DayZ website:

http://dayzmod.com/
<<

Titan

SC Admin Member

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: DayZ

i thought about it.. are the games persistant or do they have rounds? IE if everyone dies its game over

Please gunny do a review/playthrough
<<

Gunslinger

SC CO-Leader

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm

The game is persistant, once you're dead - you're dead, you need to create a character and start again.

It's purely a survival game, the zombies are out to get you, but so are a lot of the other players too, if a few players can team up they have a better chance of survival.

I haven't played much of it yet, so I'll give you my thoughts once I have, but you basically spawn on a beach with hardly any gear (not even a weapon), you have some bandages, pain killers and a flashlight.

So far my experience has been:

spawn, see zombies, get attacked by said zombies, run like hell. Lose zombies, bandage myself up because I am bleeding, get killed by the zombies I thought I had lost while I was trying to heal myself.

Spawn, no zombies in sight (phew!), see some buildings in the distance and head for them (being sure to creep around the buildings quietly!), turn a corner and see zombies, get attacked by zombies, run away from chasing zombies, lose them, bandage myself (checked to make sure the zombies weren't still following), see a lighthouse and head for it, no gear to be found but there is a bicycle. Ride bike to the next lot of buildings I see, can't find much there either, but here come the zombies again! Ride off on my bike and find a farmhouse, found some fencing wire (don't know what to do with that), hear approaching zombies so shut the door of the out building I am in.

That is where I left it, now because it is persistant I *think* whatever server I go on next I should carry on from there, I will find out in a minute............
<<

Titan

SC Admin Member

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:21 pm

i've seen some people playing it.. looks like how you described it.

if we can get a load of us on a server i guess more chance of survival?!

balls to it i'll get arma 2 then might as well while its in the steam sale. BTW that is on till the 22nd
<<

Gunslinger

SC CO-Leader

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Played for a few hours with Rhys and Capt J tonight, with the help of Rhys and his map we eventually found each other, and then Rhys and Capt J equiped me with a good weapon, bandages, food, drink and even a tent!

We then headed down to a supermarket where I managed to stock up on lots of other stuff, including binoculars - there were shit loads of zombies there but Rhys and Capt J showed the true value of working as a team - they got spotted by some zombies but lead them off while I looted the supermarket, then they killed the zombies out of hearing distance of the rest of them (it would have attracted them al if they had heard it). It got late, so I led down under a tree and left them. When I play next I will still be under that tree, but Rhys and Capt J could be miles away - hopefully I will manage to meet up with them, or they might be dead and respawn somewhere else..................

If you want a fast paced full on shooting game, play BF3. DayZ has a lot of moments with not much happening, but it is tense and needs a lot of thought on how to approach things.

I'm sure we will put quite a few hours into this game at i46 (hint hint Titan :) )
<<

gapp

SC Admin Member

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Sorry. but 4 me it was DAYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :roll:
<<

mysticdonut

SC CO-Leader

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 am

hmmm, not sure about this.
Was it really boring gapp?
<<

Gunslinger

SC CO-Leader

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:59 am

If you are on your own, have no idea where you are and have no equipment it can be boring, the map is huge, you can run through a forrest for a long time.

Knowing where you are on the map and teaming up is a must I think.
<<

Titan

SC Admin Member

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:46 am

Yeah i think for the game to be interesting is all about getting together with friends (Unless your a lone wolf)

I'd like to do i46 but transport is a problem. I could always just connec twhile your there and be a virtual lan!

i downloaded arma 2 so just need to setup dayz
<<

Gunslinger

SC CO-Leader

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:38 am

Titan wrote:
I'd like to do i46 but transport is a problem. I could always just connec twhile your there and be a virtual lan!

I take it Kev and Pitman aren't going now then? They did say they were originally
Next

Return to DayZ